Sunday, March 23, 2014

Thing #12: Books, Books, & More Books


I had never heard of Free Books until this Thing. Of course, Project Gutenberg is well know to most librarians if one is looking for the classics. I've also found a fair number of such works free on Kindle. But this was a quick way to get access to the words of top authors and beloved stories.

I am not impressed by the formatting of the books themselves; in the test books I downloaded there are paragraph breaks and not much else. These are the TXT file versions of Western lit, not prettified or enhanced. They have skimmed the universe of out-of-copyright titles for the best known, even if most are of the dead white men vintage. Even the Gutenberg HTML version of The Velveteen Rabbit includes the original artwork, while Free Books does not.

As with all my other info apps, I am doubled or tripled up when it comes to book apps. I have Kindle, Nook, and Google Play Books on my tablet, along with the Overdrive reader. I prefer not to read books on my phone.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like to read books on my phone either, but I do enjoy the apps for my Nexus tablet (Android). Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete